Preparing for Surgery
- Drop off time at our Clinic is between 8:00– 8:30am
- All cats must be in separate carriers. Please label the carrier with the animal’s name and your last name using masking or duct tape. If you do not have a pet carrier, cardboard carriers may be purchased for $5.00.
- All dogs must be on leashes when visiting the Clinic.
- Dogs and cats cannot have any food after 10pm the night before surgery, and no water the morning of surgery.
- Animals must be in good health. If your pet is showing any signs of illness such as coughing, sneezing, runny eyes or diarrhea they will be declined for surgery.
- If your pet is already up-to-date on vaccinations, please bring your vaccination records with you to the appointment. A rabies vaccine is required by New Mexico law.
- It is very important that you show up at the appointed time. Please call our front desk and let us know if you are delayed for any reason. 505 753-0228. Your pet may be turned away if you are late for the drop off time.
After Surgery Care
You will be given written post-instructions on discharge. However, please prepare for the following:
- Pick-up time is 3:00 – 4:00pm.
- Pets should be kept indoors where they can stay clean, dry and comfortable. Please limit their activity; no climbing stairs, running, jumping, rowdy play, swimming, or other strenuous activity during the 10 day recovery time period.
- No bathing during this period.
- Dogs must be walked on a leash.
- Light meals only the evening of surgery with water available. Feed normally the next day.
- Please check the incision site daily. Do not allow your pet to lick or chew at the incision site. Slight redness at the incision may be normal for a few days after surgery. However, if you notice irritation, discharge, swelling, a gap in the incision or worsening redness, please contact the Clinic at 505 753-0228.
Unless indicated otherwise, your pet’s sutures are absorbable and the outer layer of skin is held together with surgical glue. Do not clean or apply topical ointment to the incision site. Keep the site dry. Your pet will have tattoo ink applied to the incision.